Candle blamed for Alamo blaze Crimes & Incidents, posted by Editor, Danville Weekly Online, on Sep 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm
An unattended candle in a three-story house on Vine Lane in Alamo is being blamed for a blaze this morning that caused $500,000 in damages. Neighbors called 9-1-1 when they saw smoke coming from the upper floors.
Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, September 20, 2009, 2:51 PM
Posted by Alamo Resident, a resident of the Alamo neighborhood, on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:25 am
GREAT JOB SRVPFPD!!! Apparently Julia doesnt see the need for Fire Departments and in her world every house should burn to the ground. Julia, when our house catches fire make sure you dont call the fire department.
Posted by hmmm, a resident of the Alamo neighborhood, on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:08 am
I see what Julia was saying. Four of the rooms were completely gutted with nothing left. The first floor has to be re done also because of all the water damage. The third floor had problems also. Not to mention, the smoke damage. I think we can all agree on the fact that SRVFD was amazing here. But when there is sm much work to be done, it's almost like you'd rather start over.
Posted by Alamo resident, a resident of the Alamo neighborhood, on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:39 am
Why is Julia acting like firefighters did something wrong? The residents are the ones who left the candle burning unattended. If not for the firefighters the fire could have jumped to neighbors homes or ACTUALLY burned the house down to the ground. Contrary to Julia's theory, I believe the residents feel fortunate the blaze wasn't a lot worse.
Posted by Alexis, a resident of the Alamo neighborhood, on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:00 am
This was my families home, so maybe you would like our opinion. We are very gratful to all the fire depts that came. We did not lose things like pictures, things can be replaced. My father built this house with his own 2 hands. I remember seeing him squeeze those last few minutes of daylight just to get done. Unfortunately my baby sisters (twins) got it the worse. My dad will rebuild and everything will be okay. Our family and hopefully some others will learn from what has happened. It was an accident and we have all made them. Nothing anyone says to us about how careless it was will be any worse then we have said to ourselves. What makes my heart happy is to see all the good people have in them. My twins friends Dad ran into the burning building trying to save my mom that he knew was home alone. The other neighbors got on a ladder with a hose to try and put it out. When things had calmed countless people came to offer food, water, places to stay.The human spirit is good at heart I just wish bad things were not what always brought it out. We thank our neighbors, friends, and all the firemen.